In 1993, Richard H. Pierce founded Maine Education Services (MES), a Maine non-profit organization created to foster and promote access to higher education for Maine students. It was Dick’s life-long commitment to promote higher education. The Richard H. Pierce Memorial Scholarship was created in 2011 in his honor and memory.
MES will award (2) two $2,500 scholarships.
The intent of these scholarships is to assist with college retention and completion. Eligible recipients must be Maine residents, who are accepted at or enrolled in any two or four year degree-granting college or university that is accredited by the Association of Schools and Colleges, both in-state or out-of-state. Eligible recipients must have successfully completed at least one year of study (in the case of a 2-year program) or two years (in the case of a 4-year or 5-year program) at an institute of higher education and show a strong desire to complete their degree program.
Awards are made on the basis of:
- Academic excellence demonstrated by the content of the applicant transcript and GPA
- Contributions to community and employment
- Financial need consideration
- Essay of 300 words or less from the applicant describing a time/event when he/she faced a personal challenge and persevered for something in which he/she believed. Regardless of the outcome, explain how this experience has influenced the applicant. And now that applicant is halfway through their school program, describe the difference this scholarship would make to further their higher education goals.
All application components must be submitted and postmarked, if applicable, by April 11, 2014. Awards will be made jointly to the applicant and school. Maine Education Services will announce scholarship winners in the spring of 2014.
The following requirements may be completed filling out an online application:
- Applicant information
- School/community activities
- Work Experience
- Essay (make sure to include your name on the top of the essay)
All supplemental online application information must be mailed to the following address:
Attn: Richard H. Pierce Memorial Scholarship
131 Presumpscot Street
Portland, ME 04103
The following forms should be sent to the above address by April 11, 2014.
- Copy of School Transcript (most recent)
- Student Aid Report (SAR) which includes your expected family contribution (EFC), income information, and number of family members.
Your application will not be complete without the information indicated. You may direct any questions concerning this scholarship to MES by calling 1-800-922-6352.