The Richard H. and Scottie Pierce Family Foundation Scholarship Fund was created by Richard and Scottie Pierce, formerly of Waterville, ME, to annually expand educational opportunities for Maine students who are planning to pursue their education at a two-or four-year accredited degree-granting college or university worldwide. Initially, the program will be extended to Somerset County students in recognition of that being the birth place of Mr. Pierce’s parents, Henry and Bea Pierce.
Multiple $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to students from Somerset county.
Eligible recipient must be a Somerset county resident for a minimum of one year, who is accepted or enrolled to any two or four year accredited degree-granting college or university worldwide that is accredited by the Association of Schools and Colleges.
Awards are made on the basis of:
- Academic excellence demonstrated by the content of the applicant transcript and GPA
- Contributions to community and employment
- Financial need demonstrated by the applicant Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Letter(s) of recommendation from both: A high school or college official familiar with the applicant’s academic performance and extracurricular activities – A person with first-hand knowledge regarding the applicant’s involvement in community service
- Essay of 300 words or less from the applicant explaining his or her educational goals and intentions and a statement of how this scholarship would make a difference in their ability to achieve these goals
All application components must be submitted and postmarked, if applicable, by April 11, 2014. Awards will be made jointly to the applicant and school. The Richard H. Pierce Family Foundation Scholarship Fund will announce scholarship winners for the 2014 applicants in the spring of 2014.
The following requirements may be completed by filling out an online application:
- Applicant information
- School/community activities
- Work Experience
- Essay (make sure to include your name on the top of the essay)
All supplemental online application information must be mailed to the following address:
Attn: The Richard H. Pierce Family Foundation Scholarship Fund
131 Presumpscot Street
Portland, ME 04103
The following forms should be sent to the above address by April 11, 2014.
- Transcript release form
- School recommendation form
- Community recommendation form
- Student Aid Report (SAR) which includes your expected family contribution (EFC), income information, and number of family members.
Your application will not be complete without the information indicated. You may direct any questions concerning this scholarship to MES by calling 1-800-922-6352.