The Maine Legislative Memorial Scholarship Fund was created by the Maine Legislature and staff to annually recognize one student from each county who is currently or is planning to pursue their education at a two-or four-year degree-granting Maine college or technical school. This scholarship is available for full or part-time students.
Members of the Maine Legislature and staff have conducted fundraising activities to grow the money for this scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to one student from each Maine county (16).
Eligible recipient must be a Maine resident, who is accepted to or enrolled in a two-or four-year degree-granting Maine college or technical school that is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (the student must actually choose to attend the Maine institution). Graduate students are also eligible.
Awards are made on the basis of:
- Academic excellence demonstrated by the content of the applicant transcript and GPA
- Contributions to community and employment
- Financial need demonstrated by the applicant Student Aid Report (SAR)
- Letter(s) of recommendation from both:
- A high school or college official familiar with the applicant's academic performance and extracurricular activities
- A person with first-hand knowledge regarding the applicant's involvement in community service
- Essay of 300 words or less from the applicant explaining his or her educational goals and intentions
All supplemental online application information must be mailed to the following address:
Attn: The Maine Legislative Memorial Scholarship Fund
131 Presumpscot Street
Portland, ME 04103
All application components must be submitted and postmarked, if applicable, by April 11, 2014. Awards will be made directly to the applicant after successful completion of the first semester of school. The Maine Legislative Memorial Scholarship Committee will announce scholarship winners for the 2014 applicants in the spring of 2015. Scholarships may be deferred for one year if this is to the student’s financial advantage.
The following requirements may be completed filling out an online application:
- Applicant information
- School/community activities
- Work Experience
- Essay (make sure to include your name on the top of the essay)
- In addition, the following forms, which you can obtain at your school, should be completed and submitted either online or mailed to the above address by April 11, 2014:
- Copy of school transcript (most recent)
- Recommendation letter from school contact
- Recommendation letter from community member